Skip Navigation


Frequently Asked Questions

Getting Started
  1. What is Employee Self Service?

• An application that allows an employee to update or view personal, payroll, time and benefits information.

  1. How do I access Employee Self Service?

• Go to 

• Log in with your JHED ID and password

• Click on the HR Icon

• Select ESS

  1. How long does it take for the changes to go into effect?

• Changes go into effect immediately

  1. I am a new hire and do not have access to ESS. Why am I not able to access my information?

• HR/Payroll must receive your hire information and have it processed in the payroll system before you will have access. Check with your department HR/payroll representative if you have questions or try again later.

  1. Who has access to ESS?

All employees paid via SAP with a few exceptions. Those exceptions include:

• Employees that have an I-9 hold on infotype 001 or I-9 pending on infotype 94 will not be able to access tax or direct deposit information until the hold has been removed.

• Non Resident Aliens (NRA) will not be able to change withholding information.

• Employees with foreign addresses will not be able to access permanent address information.

• Terminated staff with term dates after ESS go live will be able to change their permanent address and view their pay stubs through the end of the year terminated.

• Terminated staff with term dates prior to ESS go live will not have any access to ESS.

  1. When will new employees be able to access ESS?

• New hires can access ESS as soon as they have been assigned a JHED ID and password.

  1. Will I be able to access this from home?

• Yes, you do not need to be on the Hopkins network to access ESS.

Top of page

General Information

  1. How long do I have access to Employee Self Service once I no longer work for Johns Hopkins?

• Through 12/31 of the year of termination

  1. What is an E210?

• A timesheet for University employees only which allows you to manage your hours worked and leave accrued.

  1. Why is there no option in the Military Status field for "N/A" or "Non-Military"?

• Blank equals N/A

  1. What is a major intersection?

• The major intersection field was a request from Emergency Management. This should contain the nearest major intersection to your home. The field must be filled in to save your address change.

  1. How do I enter a foreign address?

• Employee Self Service cannot be used to add or update any foreign addresses. If you have a foreign address, you will need to use the ISR or paper processes.

  1. Does ESS have any approval processes after the employee updates their information?

• No. All information that employees are able to update does not require any approvals.

  1. Will there be times when ESS is unavailable?

• Yes, there may be times when ESS is not available due to system issues (maintenance, updates, etc.). Those events will be announced.

• Individuals may be locked out of their record if someone in HR/Payroll is updating their record. They should try to update their information later.

• When payrolls run all employees in that pay cycle will not be able to update their records until after payroll has completed processing.

  1. What happens when an employee has concurrent employment (multiple assignments)?

• The employee will be asked to choose an assignment to update/view. Some changes are shared between assignments such as permanent address. Other information is specific to each assignment. The employee should review all assignment to ensure they are correct.

  1. Can I make changes with future or different effective dates?

• No, all updates will be reflected in the current payroll cycle. The schedule of pay dates, pay periods and payroll run dates is posted at:

  1. When records are changed by staff, will there be a record of who initiated the change?

• Yes.  You will be able to see the JHED ID of the person who last updated the record in the changed field.

  1. Who at work has access to our emergency contacts so they can notify our designated contacts in the event of an emergency?

• The person(s) in your department who have the SAP HRIPA View All role will have access to your emergency contacts.

  1. Is there or will there be an option to add more than one emergency phone number on the emergency contacts?

• No.  This is not an option.

Top of page

Pay Information

  1. How many banks am I allowed to have?

• You are allowed to have one default bank and two additional banks.

  1. How long will my pay statements be able to view online?

• Pay statements are available for a rolling two years.

  1. What is a "Bank Key"?

• The Bank Key is the Routing Number associated with your bank. It can be found on your check or can be received from your bank through their website. You can also search for it by clicking the search help button.

  1. Do I need to send any forms (tax, direct deposit) to payroll after I update my information in ESS?

• No. ESS is all you need. The information is updated in the payroll system immediately.

  1. Why can't I see the Direct Deposit or Tax Withholdings services?

• Employees who are not designated as having their I-9 paperwork on file will not have access to these services. If you feel this is a mistake, please contact your HR administrator.

  1. Why can't I see my pay statement? I only see my net pay.

• Your browser's security settings are not allowing the Adobe file to download. Right click on the message bar at the top and choose download file. Your security settings can be changed to avoid this in the future.

  1. Why does my PTO balance not change when I view my previous pay statements?

• The pay statement is only designed to show your latest PTO balance. To view previous PTO balances, please use the Leave Balance Service.

Top of page

When to Contact Human Resources

  1. Who do I contact if I encounter difficulties with ESS?

• Contact HR/Payroll Shared Services at 443-997-5828

• For questions regarding your password please e-mail

  1. What should be done if my work address or other information needs to be corrected or updated?

• Please contact the HR/Payroll Administrator in your department.

  1. What happens if I don’t have access to a computer and need to update my information?

• Contact your HR/Payroll Administrator in your department.  You can also access ESS via public computers such as those located in libraries.

  1. What do I do if my work address is incorrect?

• Contact your HR Administrator

  1. What do I do if my personal information is incorrect?

• Contact your HR Administrator

Top of page


  1. Why can’t I access Employee Self Service?

• When payroll is running or changes are being made, you will not be able to update your information and will receive a message to check back later.

  1. Why do I keep receiving an error message when updating my withholding?

• The declaration box must be checked to certify that you are entitled to the number of withholdings allowances claimed or that you are entitled to claim exempt status.

  1. How do I navigate to another service? For example, from Personal Information to Payroll Information?

• Click the appropriate link on the dark blue ribbon at the top of the page. You can move to any of the sections this way.

  1. How do I get back to the Overview page?

• Click the Overview link on the dark blue ribbon at the top of the page. You can move to any of the sections this way.

  1. How do I make the print larger?

• This is a browser setting and can be changed in your browser's options menu.

  1. Why is the system not allowing me to save my address?

• If you live in Maryland, you will need to select the county you live in. You can click on the dropdown list and choose your county. A major intersection is also required.

  1. How do I enter my phone number?

• The area code and phone number fields are 2 separate fields. After filling in your area code, simply press tab to get to the next field, or click in the next field to enter the phone number.

  1. Why can't I see my personal benefits selections in the Benefits Information section?

• The Benefits Information section is there to allow you to view the benefits choices being offered by your employer. There is no way to see your personal benefits information in Employee Self Service.

  1. Why can't I see the Direct Deposit or Tax Withholdings services?

• Employees who are not designated as having their I-9 paperwork on file will not have access to these services.  If you feel this is a mistake, please contact your HR/Payroll administrator.

  1. Why doesn't single sign on work for ESS?

• Single sign on has been disabled for this service for security reasons.

Top of page

Copyright 2006 - Johns Hopkins Medical Institutions, All Rights Reserved.
Contact Us | FAQ | Sitemap